Skip to main content

Review on Confident Orienteering Book

 

Review by Klas Karlsson on Confident Orienteering Book

Receiving feedback on the book from highly experienced top level athletes is truly a blessing! It's immensely valuable for the author to witness the practical utility of the ideas presented in the book. Such positive input is not only encouraging but also motivating.

I'm excited to share that Confident Orienteering Book 2 is already in progress.
A heartfelt thanks to the entire team who contributed to the creation of this Confident Orienteering Book 1!
Aleksandr Alekseyonok, November 22, 2023

Review by Klas Karlsson

"An impressive piece of work!
Short introduction of myself: I have run orienteering for 45 years now. I was very promising as a Junior, and after a bit of struggling as a senior reached the Swedish A-team on a few occasions. However I never managed to make top results. During that time I was most interested in winning, not to the same degree on HOW to win. I thought that by practicing a lot I would eventually succeed. However, that changed over time. Nowadays I am very focused on understanding the keys behind successful orienteering. Yes, I am a nerd. I have written many texts about different topics myself, and I have had thoughts about writing a book summarizing what I have learned in my way. However, after reading this book by Aleksandr, I can only lift my hat and conclude, there is no need for my book any longer!
Aleksandr has very high standards when it comes to describe what really constitutes the nature of navigation. He describes different types of inaccuracies, mistakes, methods and pitfalls while navigating, all supported by examples along the way. Personally I find this beautiful, even though I fear some more “get-to-the-point” readers will lose interest along the way.
I am amazed by the structure of the work, and can only imagine the effort put into all the examples. Very impressing!
To me there are three main takeaways, but I am sure others will find their goodies.

1. There will always be uncertainty! This conclusion should affect your actions. Some understand this intuitively, other just ignore it. By this book you get the possibility to learn it and adjust to it. Do that!

2. I like Aleksandr’s division of the navigation into two systems. One primary system leading the way, and one backup system identifying whether everything goes according to plan. Even though each of them may suffice in theory, balancing them is the key for fast and accurate navigation.

3. The “navigation model” as presented is new to me. Even though I, by experience, “see the same thing” directly from the map, this model is a good one for e.g. analysis of navigation strategy, and maybe shortcutting learning (so you don’t end up being too old when you finally get it… like myself)

This first book is labelled as “fundamentals”, and for the first parts this is really the case. First half of the book builds up a theoretical understanding, and as I said earlier, may be a little bit tedious for some readers. However the second half starts to reveal insights that are more tangible for someone eager to get results. From what I can see of book 1, including the description of book 2, I can hardly wait for it to be released. Thanks Aleksandr, for putting all the effort into this work!
/Klas Karlsson, IKHP, Sweden"
November 15, 2023




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Left, Right, or Straight_4

 Left, Right, or Straight_4 Guess which route is faster See also my brand  New e-book on Orienteering for advanced runners 

Left, Right, or Straight: Leg Analysis #13

  Left, Right, or Straight: Leg Analysis #13 Today we will take a close look at the route choice for leg 5-6  from the women's elite long-distance  at the "Närkekvartetten" 3-day event in Sweden (May 11, 2024) The altitude gain on this leg will not have a significant effect on the route choice.  The right-hand route doesn't look bad in the first half, with a fairly large section along the road. However, after the stream (point A), there is difficult navigation with challenging runnability. Therefore, we will abandon this route and choose between the 'direct' and 'left' routes. The straight and left routes are identical up to the midpoint (point B). Therefore, we have ample time on the course to make a decision. Additionally, the alternative of running to point B on the right side of the road (orange track) is not favourable as it involves a longer path compared to the straight route to point B, where there is a long path. Let's look at the differe

Left, Right, or Straight #7

Left, Right, or Straight #7 When I saw leg 4-5, I thought, 'What a not very interesting long leg with an unambiguous route on the right side along the crest of the hill.' However, it turns out that's not actually the case. Many athletes didn't take advantage of this opportunity. Do you think there's an equally viable alternative to the route on the right? source: https://www.livelox.com/Viewer/Costa-Calida-2024-Larga-Caravaca-/M-35A?classId=716564&tab=player Expect a detailed analysis of this leg in a few days. Aleksandr Alekseyonok, March 3, 2024.